BOTTEGA DONIZETTI 2024
An Advanced Masterclass for Opera Singers
directed by Giulio Zappa
The Donizetti Theatre Foundation carries on its professional training course called BOTTEGA DONIZETTI. An advanced masterclass for opera singers. Enrolling and attending the Bottega is totally free of charge; the admission of candidates will be subject to a selection procedure according to the call for applications.
Would you like to apply for the Bottega Donizetti?
The Donizetti Theatre Foundation carries on its professional training course called BOTTEGA DONIZETTI. An advanced masterclass for opera singers. Enrolling and attending the Bottega is totally free of charge; the admission of candidates will be subject to a selection procedure according to the following articles.
Art. 1 – Aims and Subject Matter
The Bottega addresses the vocal and dramaturgical issues related to Donizetti’s operatic production. Only admitted candidates can attend the course. Attendance is free of charge and limited in number. Selected singers will be offered the opportunity to consolidate and further improve, under the guidance of international artists, the various vocal, musical and dramaturgical aspects of the repertoire of the bel canto and of Donizetti in particular.
The admitted students of Bottega Donizetti will take part in some productions of the 2024 DONIZETTI OPERA and the specific productions are: Zoraida di Granata (second version 1824), Don Pasquale and Roberto Devereux by Gaetano Donizetti.
Six participants will be selected as follows: 2 sopranos, 1 tenor, 1 baritone, 2 basses or bass-baritones, who will be assigned the following roles:
– Ines, in Ada in Zoraida di Granata soprano
– Almanzor in Zoraida di Granata tenor
– Alì in Zoraida di Granata bass or bass-baritone
– Norina in Don Pasquale soprano
– Malatesta in Don Pasquale baritone
– Gualtiero in Roberto Devereux bass, baritone or bass-baritone
Participants may also be involved in further activities of the festival and be designated as doubles for the main roles in the productions of the DONIZETTI OPERA 2024.
For information or further details on musical study materials and their retrieval, please send your queries to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Art. 2 – Calendar
The 2024 BOTTEGA DONIZETTI will be divided into the following phases:
- Wednesday, March 6, 2024: deadline for applications
- Friday, March 15, 2024: deadline for publishing pre-selection results
- Monday, April 15 and Tuesday, April 16, 2024: in-person auditions
- Monday, April 22, 2024: deadline for publishing the results of in-person auditions
- From Monday, May 20 to Sunday, June 2, 2024: masterclass
- From Monday, October 14 to Sunday, December 1, 2024: DONIZETTI OPERA 2024 productions (dates to be confirmed)
The calendar, programme and lectures, as well as any future change, will be communicated on the website http://www.donizetti.org/ bottega-donizetti.
The artistic director and board of the festival may decide to offer further opportunities to each participant within the production activities of the DONIZETTI OPERA, whether they are as doubles for specific roles or for promotional, educational or other activities.
Art. 3 – Organisation
Attendance at the masterclass courses is full-time and compulsory: any artistic leave must be authorised in advance by the DONIZETTI OPERA festival artistic director and board.
Applicants admitted to the Bottega will be given the musical material and study instructions, as well as updates on the production schedule and on the teachers. Before attending the masterclass, they must have perfectly memorized the parts they have been assigned.
Participation in the Bottega and related activities authorises the Donizetti Theatre Foundation to make free of charge any audio/video recordings and recordings for broadcasting by the Foundation itself or by public or private radio and television organisations.
Art. 4 – Courses
Classes will be held on 14 days, with a maximum daily commitment of 8 hours.
The teaching syllabus includes the following modules:
- Vocal technique;
- Score study;
- Interpretation of Donizetti’s operatic repertoire;
- Body expression techniques and in-depth study of characters;
- Philology and musical dramaturgy of Donizetti;
The course will be held in the premises of the Donizetti Theatre Foundation in Bergamo.
Art. 5 – Teachers
For the 2024 edition of BOTTEGA DONIZETTI the following teachers will be involved:
- Francesco Micheli(artistic director of the DONIZETTI OPERA)
- Riccardo Frizza(musical director of the DONIZETTI OPERA)
- Giulio Zappa (vocal coach and artistic secretary of the DONIZETTI OPERA)
- Paolo Fabbri (scientific director of the DONIZETTI OPERA)
- Roberto De Candia (baritone, vocal technique and interpretation)
- Mattia Agatiello(choreographer and trainer)
- Cristiano Sandri (artistic director of the Teatro Regio of Turin)
- Hana Lee (maestro collaboratore).
Art. 6 – Scholarships and Fees for the Bottega Students
For the masterclass period, admitted candidates will receive a scholarship of €2,000 each to cover travel, board and lodging expenses.
For the productions of the DONIZETTI OPERA 2024, in addition to the scholarship, the total gross fee of €4,500.00 will be awarded to every admitted student.
The Bottega students (as already stated in Art. 1) can also be involved in further artistic activities, whether promotional, didactic, professional or other kinds.
Art. 7 – Admission Requirements
The course is open only to singers born after 1 January 1992 who hold the Italian citizenship or the citizenship of an EU country. Citizens of non-European Union countries who are legally resident in Italy and have a valid residence permit or student visa valid at the date of the selection and at the beginning of the course are also eligible for admission. Candidates who are not resident in one of the EU Member States must comply with the regulations in force for the entire duration of the masterclass and of the productions, otherwise they will be excluded.
At the time of submitting their application, candidates must be in full possession of civil and political rights; if they are foreign citizens, they must prove to have an adequate knowledge of Italian or English
Art. 8 – Application Form
Application forms must be submitted no later than 1 p.m. on Wednesday, 6 March 2024 through the online form https://forms.gle/mYPYoETHZzDsMSH4A, with:
- personal data sheet attached to the call for applications (in PDF format)
- copy of valid identity card or passport (in PDF format)
- copy of tax code (if you have one, in PDF format)
- curriculum vitae (in PDF format)
- full-length photograph (in .jpg format)
- close-up photograph (in .jpg format)
- privacy subscription attached to the call for applications (in PDF format)
- link to the audio-video recordings of the arias chosen for the pre-selection (only YouTube or Vimeo)
- programme of the arias chosen for the selection in presence.
Applications delivered by hand, fax or paper mail will not be accepted.
The Donizetti Theatre Foundation will not be responsible for any technical and/or computer issues preventing the correct delivery of applications submitted by candidates.
Non-compliance with the above terms will result in the exclusion of the candidate.
All communication to candidates by Bottega Donizetti will be made exclusively via the e-mail address provided by the candidates at the time of registration.
Art. 9 – Admission Procedure
The selection of participants will take place in two stages:
- PRE-SELECTION – During the pre-selection procedure the video recording enclosed with the application form will be evaluated. This evaluation will be carried out at the sole discretion of the Commitee set up by the Artistic Director and comprising artists and professionals in the field.
For the pre-selection assessment, candidates must send an audio-visual recording (including recitative and cabaletta, if applicable, and without traditional cuts) of 2 opera arias of their choice, taken from the repertoire of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini. Pieces must be performed by heart, without the aid of a score. Every recorded file, in HD quality and no longer than 10 minutes, may be sent using the online application form indicating the YouTube or Vimeo link, the only viable means for receiving audio-visual material.
The recording must be recent and specifically made for the BOTTEGA DONIZETTI pre-selection procedure. The Foundation will publish the list of pre-selected candidates on the dedicated web page no later than Friday, March 15, 2024. Each candidate who has passed the pre-selection procedure will then receive by e-mail the convocation indicating the place and time for the in-person audition.
- SELECTION – The selection will be based on a live audition that will be held in Bergamo on Monday, 15 and Tuesday 16 April, 2024 (according to the calendar), in one of the premises of the Donizetti Theatre FOundation. Candidates selected for the live audition will have to present the following pieces:
- Ines, in Zoraida di Granata, soprano: Ines’s Aria from Zoraida di Granata, plus 1 opera aria of one’s own choice, taken from the repertoire of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini and different from those presented for the audio-video pre-selection.
- Almanzor, in Zoraida di Granata, tenor: 2 opera arias of one’s own choice, taken from the repertoire of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini, at least 1 of which must be different from those presented for the audio-video pre-selection.
- Alì, in Zoraida di Granata, bass or bass-baritone: Alì’s Aria from Zoraida di Granata, plus 1 opera aria of one’s own choice, taken from the repertoire of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini and different from those presented for the audio-video pre-selection.
- Norina, in Don Pasquale, soprano: Norina’s Aria, Duet with Malatesta, Duet with Don Pasquale, from Don Pasquale, plus 1 opera aria of one’s own choice, taken from the repertoire of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini (not necessarily different from those presented for the audio-video pre-selection).
- Malatesta, in Don Pasquale, baritone: Malatesta’s Aria, Duet with Norina, Duet with Don Pasquale, from Don Pasquale, plus 1 opera aria of one’s own choice, taken from the repertoire of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini (not necessarily different from those presented for the audio-video pre-selection).
- Gualtiero, in Roberto Devereux, bass, baritone or bass-baritone: 2 opera arias of one’s own choice, taken from the repertoire of Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini, at least 1 of which must be different from those presented for the audio-video pre-selection.
Pieces must be performed by heart, without the aid of a score.
The Bottega will provide candidates with a Maestro accompagnatore for the performance of the presented programme. Candidates must provide the scores of the pieces they have selected.
Candidates are allowed to be accompanied by a pianist of their choice; in this case, no charge or expense may be requested from the Foundation and candidates must inform well in advance of the audition that they will be accompanied by their own pianist.
The Examining Committee may decide to listen to the entire or to part of the programme submitted.
Those who miss the selection audition will be excluded from the Bottega.
Those who do not comply with the obligation to perform the roles in the production and to participate in the Masterclass will no longer be students of the Bottega, and they will be withdrawn and will have to return the scholarship.
Art. 10 – Admission to Bottega Donizetti
Admission to the Bottega will be decided on the basis of the final ranking list drawn up by the Examining Committee and published on the Donizetti Theatre Foundation website after the live selection procedure no later than Monday, April 22, 2024. The decision of the Committee cannot be questioned.
Candidates who have been deemed eligible but have not been admitted to the course may take the place of admitted students who eventually renounce and, depending on the Committee’s decision, may attend the course as auditors.
Admitted candidates will be sent a convocation via e-mail indicating the date and time of the beginning of the course.
The Committee may recognise as eligible candidates who have given proof of a good general technical-interpretative level and may invite them to participate as covers of roles in the productions of the DONIZETTI OPERA 2024 with a fee commensurate with the commitment required.
Feedback on musical performances will only be given on live performances to candidates admitted to the final selection.
Download and fill in the personal data sheet to complete your registration