The upper town theatre: the “Sociale” of the “Città alta”
The theatre “Teatro Sociale“, originally the “Teatro della Società”, is located at the heart of the “Città Alta“, or “Upper Town”. Designed by Leopoldo Pollock, it was inaugurated in 1809 with the intent to rival the “Teatro Riccardi” built in the “Lower Town”, now “Teatro Donizetti“.
There, the young Gaetano Donizetti formed part of the chorus for performances by Giovanni Simone Mayr’s “Charitable Lessons”. Active until the nineteen twenties/thirties, the theatre underwent a long period of neglect until its restoration and then reopening in 2009.