Teatro cittadino: Donizetti al Donizetti
Born from the interest of Bortolo Riccardi, a silk producer and merchant, from whom the theatre initially took its name, “The Donizetti” stands in an area of low Bergamo historically set aside for fairs and trade. Inaugurated in 1791, it was rebuilt in masonry after a fire, and reopened in 1801, with the programming entrusted to the Maestro Giovanni Simone Mayr.
Donizetti was received there triumphantly in 1840, on occasion of the performance of his work L’esule di Roma (The Exile from Rome). The theatre was renamed after him in 1897, on occasion of the centenary of his birth, for which important renovation and decoration works were also carried out.